Have you ever made that meatballs with grape jelly recipe? I’ve used it several times when I need something quick and easy for potlucks. They are always good but I’m not completely happy with the ordinary-ness of the taste.
Today it was a funeral that made me run to the store, when I should have still been in my pj’s, for a 3-4 lb bag of frozen meatballs. I ran out of the store forgetting the rest of the ingredients. (I hate it when that happens!)
I got home and realized my fatal error. I stood in front of the refriderator, all that cold air escaping, snorting something about how to figure out how to makeshift the recipe, (good thing no one else was up yet) since I only had 30 minutes to get these puppies up to speed and be at the church on time for sound check. (I was singing in said funeral too)
So what does any self respecting pastor’s wife who cooks for all the potlucks do in a pinch? She gets out the raspberry chipotle sauce and some “famous” peppers and onion relish from the “famous chain store” and gets cooking!
Mission accomplished! They were a big hit, my recipe made the requests list and I was relieved.
And a beautiful funeral I might add. We miss you Roy!… Looking forward to our heavenly reunion, minus crock pots and meatballs. 🙂
For those of you who asked.. here’s the recipe in all it’s glory….
The Amazing Meatballs Recipe:
- 1 3-4lb bag of frozen pre-cooked meatballs
- 10 oz Roasted Raspberry Chipotle Sauce
- 11.5 oz Harry and David’s Pepper & Onion Relish
- 4 oz tomato catsup
- 2 Tbs worcestershire sauce
- Place bag of meatballs in the micowave to defrost for 8 minutes.
- After 90 seconds take bag out of the microwave (because there’s not enough room for them to turn on the lazy susan) and pour meatballs out into a large plastic (micro safe) bowl.
- Now put the bowl in the microwave on defrost… on second thought, maybe just set to high for 8 minutes.
- Stir meatballs every few minutes and repeat the process, (no! don’t put them back in the bag! just repeat step 3 on high at 8 min.) Stir and continue on high as needed, until heated through.
- Pour meatballs into your 25 year old crock pot.
- Now mix together the sauces, relish and catsup in a bowl or measuring cup of your choice. (I didn’t mix first… mistake!) Pour over the meatballs stir and and run out the door!
- Wait, don’t forget the crock pot!!!
- After the emotional flogging of getting a speeding ticket, arrive at the church and unload your amazing meatballs, find the right place for them and plug them in. Set heat level on high.
XO and Enjoy!
I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. 2 Timothy 4:7