My last post was a recipe for Venison Chorizo. So, I got a request for breakfast sausage as an option for all those less than prime cuts of venison and other meats in the freezer. Here’s the recipe I use.
- 1 tablespoons rosemary
- 1 tablespoon fennel
- 1 tablespoon salt (to taste)
- 2 tablespoons black pepper (fresh peppercorns if possible)
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon crushed red pepper (to taste)
- 6 cloves garlic
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 pounds lean ground meat
- Use a mortar and pestle to grind the spices, sugar, salt, and garlic to a well ground mixture. a simple electric coffee grinder kept just for this purpose will do
- Add oil and mix well.
- Mix the spice mixture with the ground meat until well mixed. You may wish to do this in a food processor or Kitchen Aid with attachment as it will take a couple of minutes.
- Refrigerate overnight before cooking and serving for best results.
Makes 12 sausage patties.
Notes: This recipe works for any ground meat you prefer. Try venison or javelina.
You could modify this, using less sugar and Italian herbs instead of some of the other herbs and make Italian sausage.